Friday, August 7, 2009

From My Perspective

So, someone asked me to create a blog abiding by the topic: How the view of things from a college athlete differentiate from that of a normal college student. (Assuming that I understood the request correctly).

My response to that...

I think that the view of things from a college athlete do, in fact differ from that of a traditional college student. It adds another hurdle-so to speak to overcome. In addition to taking full time classes, working for one of the top 50 travel companies in the U.S., balancing healthy friendships, and family relationships, and completing all given assignments while maintaining a nearly perfect GPA, we still put in those long hours as an athlete.

In order to be a successful athlete, it takes hours of practice. I'm sure everyone who reads my blog is familiar with the phrase practice makes perfect. While it may not make perfection, it definitely increases the performance. I can't tell you how many hours a week I prepare (during season, and off season) in order to assure I have what it takes to compete at the college level. Ranking 1st 2nd or 3rd in all my races, I can walk away confident knowing that I did what I had to do.

The fact that I can perform greatly while managing other tasks just shows that I have more strength, determination, and will to succeed. Making sure that I'm not better at my sports, than my studies or vis versa is difficult, so don't underestimate an athlete.

Which brings me to another point- What is with teachers saying "Athlete's think they are better than everyone else because they play a sport. They deserve no extra recognition." If that isn't the most foolish thing I've ever heard. How does that even make any sense? Throughout all the existing struggles of a college student, with the stress of a competitor added only makes us stronger students. It doesn't at all mean we are expecting a free ride in a classroom because we play a sport.

Hope I answered your question, or touched on your statement fucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment